Picking out the right foundation for your skin can be tough! You have to consider coverage level, your under tone, your skin color, your skin type, and the finish of the foundation. In previous blog posts I have covered the topics of how to find your skin type and your undertone. (I will link those two posts below.) Which leaves only two topics to cover. One being how to find the correct finish for your foundation and the other bring coverage level. So today's post is going to cover how to choose the right finish for your foundation. Monday's post will cover coverage level.
P.S. I figured I didn't need to make a blog post covering skin color/tone. If you ever have trouble finding your skin color in the drugstore bring a foundation you already have and know matches your skin color with you. If you don't have a foundation that matches you just try and find a color closest to your color. If it doesn't match it's okay, most drugstores will allow you to exchange. If you ever have trouble finding your skin tone at a department store consult one of the people who work there. They will assist you.
- Foundation Finish: Dewy.
- Dewy means glowy.
- Skin types this finish suits: dry and normal
- Why? dry skin secrete little to no oil. Normal skin is balanced, finish of foundation is based on preference of a person with this skin type. Which can make the skin appear dull and emphasizes dry patches of this. Dewy foundation will add glow to the skin. This will eliminate the dull appearance of dry skin.
- Skin types this finish does not suit: combination and oily
- Why? Combination to oily skin produce visible oil. This gives people with these skin types a naturally dewy appearance. Adding extra dew to the skin by using dewy foundation can emphasize oiliness and pores. Making the skin look dirty or excessively dewy.
- Drugstore Dewy Foundations: L'Oreal True Match Lumi and Maybelline Fit Me liquid Foundations.
- High End Dewy Foundations: Nars Sheer Glow and Benefit Hello Flawless liquid foundations.
- Foundation Finish: Matte
- Skin types this finish suits: Normal, combination and oily
- Why? Normal is balanced skin, finish of foundation is based on preference of a person with this skin type. Combination skin gets oily in way is own as the t-zone (forehead and nose area.). Matte foundation takes away the oily appearance of these area. Oily skin gets oily all over. Matte foundation takes away appearance of oil on the skin. As the day goes on combination and oily skinned people will experience less oiliness than they would with a dewy foundation.
- Skin types this finish does not suit: dry
- Why? Dry skin already is matte naturally. Adding more will emphasize dry patches and pores.
- Drugstore Matte Foundations: Maybelline Fit Me stick foundation and Revlon Colorstay Combo/Oily liquid foundation.
- High End Matte Foundations: Nars Sheer Matte Liquid Foundation and Kat Von D Lock-it Tattoo Liquid Foundation.
- Foundation Finish: Satin.
- Satin, often referred to as natural, is a mix between matte and dewy finishes. It gives a very natural effect to the skin.
- Skin types this finish suits: Dry, normal and combination
- Why? Dry skin can use satin finish foundation. Although it will appear more matte on that skin type. However, it won't enhance the appearance of pores or dry patches. Normal is balanced skin, finish of foundation is based on preference of a person with this skin type. Combination skin can use this finish as well. It will appear more dewy on this skin type. I suggest using this in colder months when the skin is drier.
- Skin types this finish does not suit: Oily
- Why? Skin that is oily all over will not allow for a satin foundation. Satin will appear dewy on this skin type. This will enhance the appearance of pores and oiliness.
- Drugstore Satin Foundation: L'Oreal True Match Liquid Foundation
- High End Dewy Foundation: Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra 24H Liquid Foundation
I hope you Dolls found this post helpful if you have any questions of comments please leave them in the comments section below. If you would like to contact me please refer to the 'follow me' tab above. Remember to share this blog and post. Also, 1+ this blog and post on Google. Thank you for stopping by the makeup junkie. Your support means a lot. I hope you all have a fantastic week!
-The Makeup Junkie
- Makeup Junkie blog post on skin type: http://makeupjunkie2020.blogspot.com/2014/07/how-to-find-your-skin-type.html
- Makeup Junkie blog post on undertone: http://makeupjunkie2020.blogspot.com/2014/07/cool-warm-neutral-how-to-find-your.html